Welcome to the FRPG website. Our research revolves around aerial robotics, multi-robot systems, formation control, aerial vision, localization, target tracking and SLAM.
My name is Aamir Ahmad. I am currently leading the Flight Robotics and Perception group (FRPG). I am a Tenure-Track Professor holding the chair "Flugrobotik" (Flight Robotics) and the Deputy Director (Research) at the Institute for Flight Mechanics and Controls, Faculty of Aerospace Engineering and Geodesy, University of Stuttgart, Germany. I am also a Research Group Leader at the Perceiving Systems department of the Max Planck Institute (MPI) for Intelligent Systems in Tübingen, Germany. FRPG is co-located at the University of Stuttgart (Flight Robotics) and MPI Tübingen (Robot Perception).
Information for prospective Master and PhD students:
- [September 2021] We have several new Master positions in our group. Please see the 'Open Positions' page for the announcements.
- If you are looking for a PhD position, please note that I am hiring doctoral students only through the IMPRS-IS program. Prospective postdocs, and internship candidates can write to me directly (for more info see at the end of this page).
News and Media:
- [Teaching] In the upcoming summer semester I will be teaching two courses -- i) 39613: Bayesian Estimation for Flight Robotics (a Bachelor and Master course with lecture, seminar and practical components), and ii) 39161: Flight robotics (a Bachelor level projectseminar course). @Students of University of Stuttgart -- lectures have limited student capacity so please enroll as early as possible.
- [News Article] I was recently featured in the Stuttgarter Zeitung, one of the most widely circulated newspaper in Baden-Württemberg, Germany.
- [News Article] My new group was recently featured in Zeit Campus, the student magazine from Germany's renowned weekly newspaper, DIE ZEIT.
- [Experiments and Demos] We successfully performed several autonomous flight experiments with our new robotic blimp -- See videos here, here and here.
- For more news please visit this page.
Want to work with us?
- PhD Positions -- Currently, I hire PhD students only through the IMPRS-IS graduate school. The application deadline is usually in November and the position can start as early as April of the following year.
- Postdocs -- Either apply to any open calls that are there on this website, or if you would like to apply for a third-party funded post-doc position (e.g., Humboldt or DAAD) please write to me directly and send a complete application package (CV, list of top 5 papers, references and a 1-page synopsis of the project you would like to do in my group).
- Master and Bachelor Thesis -- Students from the University of Stuttgart should write to me directly on my university e-mail with subject line [Bewerbung für Bachelorarbeit oder Masterarbeit]. If you are an external student, please note that we usually cannot fund travel/stay in Stuttgart for Master or Bachelor thesis work.
- HiWi Positions -- Please apply to me directly on my university e-mail with subject line [Bewerbung für HiWiStelle]
- Interns (PhD or Bachelor/Master) -- Please note that I can usually offer only a few internship positions during summer. Thus, please send me an application by email with a good project plan, fitting to one of our research projects (find those on this website), for the duration you would like the internship to be. Please avoid using template emails. I may not be able to reply a generic email for internship which does not contain a project plan.